Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009 New Years Resolution!

Happy New Year! Well, I have done a really poor job of documenting this last year with the kids. While they are becoming more physically independent (potty, dressing, feeding themselves, etc) their dependence is growing in the mental and comfort arena. We traded one dependency for another.

So in keeping with the New Years theme, I have been thinking about what my New Years resolution is this year. Last year was to exercise regularly and with the help of my super cute new running partner, Dani, I kept up with that pretty well. Not running as much during the winter but have picked up swimming laps once a week and doing a pump class once a week for some resistance training. While I feel great, I think a flat stomach is not for me in this life. :-( This year I am going to focus on a mental attribute.

Here is where the kids come into play. I have a theory that your children amplify what you need to work on personally. Self control is an issue in my household. Unfortunately my children have inherited my emotional impetuousness.

So here it comes the New Years resolution #1: rather than saying what immediately comes to mind or what I feel at the moment, I am going to work on thinking before acting and get my children to do the same. Any advice in this arena is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how to go about this process of learning self control. Yoga? Mind exercises? Signs all over the place reminding me to think before I act? Mmmmm, maybe a self help book is in order....or maybe it just has to become a focus. We will see as we explore this new years resolution and try different things to see what works.

We will keep you posted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa D said...

Hi Christina--
I like your theory, however, how would that work with Will and Reese? They are total opposites. Maybe it means mommy has multiple personalities-- hmmmmm. I have that impulse control problem too. I think it will take a shock collar to break me of it!
Lisa D.

8:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home