Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Put it in Perspective

OK, so its almost Thanksgiving. I was going through my emails yesterday and got an email from a Greenville Mother of Multiples member asking for help. Her good friend from church came home from a weekend in the mountains to find their home had burnt to the ground.

Her husband and 4 year old son have lost everything they have...well thats a sobering thought isnt it? As I run around purchasing plastic and rubber toys made in China at $40 a pop for children (mine included) that have so much, her 4 year old has lost not only every toy he had but every baby picture, every keepsake, every stitch of clothing.

Sort of puts things in perspective of what is really important this season...Thanksgiving is in a couple of days and my family is scrambling around trying to make plans and figure out who is having what meal, when. I have been extreamly lucky in the past in that my family is small, Bryan's family and my sister in law's family is fairly small as well, so we have been able to all get together and enjoy the entire day together rather than hoof it on the road to the next feast.

But this year my little sister has another family to consider with her boyfriend, Justin's family, and Leah's little brother, Nate, just got married and his new wife's family has their own plans. Bryan's little brother, Matt, is engaged so his fiance's family requires their holiday time as well. So things are a bit disjointed, just like they are for most other Americans. Remembering the Styles family, though, I am thankful we have such a great family and extended family. Who cares if we cant all be in the same place at the same time. I am just happy that they are there and feel lucky that they are a part of our lives.

I dont have a mean mother in law trying to submarine my relationship with her son...or a family member that is catty and unkind...I might not have the same closeness with everyone, but I genuinely love and enjoy each and every person in our families. According to my friends, that is REALLY something to be thankful for! :-)

So as you are rushing around trying to make your dishes and get to your destinations, and feeling grumpy about it...remember the Styles family, who do not have a kitchen to make Thanksgiving sweet potato cassarole in. Remember my neighbor, Rasheda, who's a single parent and all her family is in London. Remember my grandmother who has spent the last 50 some odd years making Thanksgiving dinner for the same man who is no longer with us. Wow, that really puts it all in perspective, doesn't it? There is always something to be thankful for...I am thankful for you, all the goodness and love in the world (its out there, you just dont hear about it as much as the bad stuff!), and for my ancesters who started the tradition of Thanksgiving so we can take pause in our hectic lives to remember that we really do have many things to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home